FEATURED ON WCSH6 MORNING REPORT
This dish can be created and cooked within a 30 minute time frame. (Rachel Ray would approve of these meals, I’m sure.) The star ingredient is the Parmigiano-Reggiano and you can get this lovely cheese at the grocery store or a specialty cheese department. If you use the best aged Parmigiano-Reggiano, your meal will be that much better. The same goes for all of the ingredients. As you can see, there are not a lot of ingredients for any given dish, so if you can splurge on fresh local organic greens, cream from grass fed cows and happy free range chickens, please do so!
- 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/4 cups Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus Parmesan shavings for salad
- Unsalted butter
- Good olive oil
- Salad greens for 6, washed and spun dry
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 clove garlic, smashed
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/4-inch thick. You can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. On a second plate, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. On a third plate, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread-crumb mixture, pressing lightly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts. Toss the salad greens with lemon vinaigrette. Season the salad with sea salt and pepper. Place a mound of salad on each hot chicken breast. Serve with extra shavings of Parmesan.
- Into a jelly jar, add the smashed garlic, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil. Shake well and, using a spoon, drizzle vinaigrette on salad. (Discard the smashed garlic clove.) Sprinkle salad with sea salt and pepper. Serve immediately.