FEATURED ON GOOD DAY MAINE
Makes enough cream for two pan pizzas or one 16 oz package of dried fettucine.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp of black truffle salt
- 1/8 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- Place the dried mushrooms in a medium bowl, cover with the hot water, and let sit until reconstituted and soft, about 15 minutes. Drain the mushrooms and their liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl, squeezing the mushrooms to extract as much liquid as possible. Reserve the liquid and roughly chop the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the reserved mushroom liquid, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is nearly all evaporated, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt, and pepper and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cream is reduced by about a third. (It should be fairly thick.)
- Ladle porcini cream sauce into Vitamix blender and puree on high speed until all ingredients are completely blended. Taste and reseason.