Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Chocolate Streusel
A rich holiday bundt cake laden with semi-sweet chocolate and toasted almonds. With a short prep time this cake is perfect for the busy holiday season. This cake can be made 3 days ahead and can be stored tightly covered at room temperature.
WATCH JILLYANNA’S APPEARANCE ON WCSH6 BELOW OR CLICK HERE:
- Chocolate Streusel
- 1 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate bits (I prefer 64% Valhrona chopped chocolate.)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- Cake and Assembly
- Canola spray
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups all purpose flour + 2-3 Tablespoons for dusting the pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray oil into bundt pan and using a pastry brush, thoroughly coat all crevices of the pan. Add a few tablespoons of flour to the pan, shake and tap out excess flour.
- Whisk 4 cups all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat granulated sugar and 2 sticks softened butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time beating to blend and scraping down sides alternating with sour cream. Add vanilla and beat just to combine.
- Transfer half of batter to prepared pan, smooth surface. Sprinkle half of streusel evenly over batter, Scrape in 1/4 batter, smooth surface, and sprinkle with remaining streusel. The dough should fill 2/3 of the pan. (The remaining batter is enough to fill a mini bundt pan if you want to bake it and give it as a small gift!)
- Bake cake until golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool in pan 20-30 minutes before inverting onto wire rack. Let cool completely. Then reinvert cake onto cake plate.
- You will need a 12-15 cup nonstick Bundt pan. Mine is made made by Nordic Ware. Be sure not to overfill your bundt pan. And do check it after 45 minutes with a toothpick.
- After you remove the cake from the oven, remember to wait no longer than 20-30 minutes before inverting the cake onto a rack to cool. Some of the topping will fall off. Don't worry. Most of the streusel will stick. After the cake is cool, reinvert it onto a cake stand. If not using immediately, wrap the cake thoroughly with plastic wrap. Cake can be made 3 days ahead and can be stored tightly covered at room temperature.